Mental health is the part of general health that we sometimes do not pay enough attention to. We tend to pay more attention to physical health and as a consequence, some problems may appear.
In 2002, the World Mental Health Federation (WMF) and the World Health Organization (WHO) decided to proclaim October 10 as World Mental Health Day with the aim of educating the entire population about major mental health issues around the world.
Each year, the two institutions intend to use October 10th to draw attention to a specific topic related to mental health. In 2021, the motto chosen was “Mental Health for All: Let’s Do It” with which they intend to focus on advocating universal and equal access to mental health and prevention services.
From ISEP, we didn’t want to be left behind in this statement, so we offer 10 tips for taking care of and enjoying good mental health.
Table of Contents
Tips For Good Mental Health
- Rest properly. Follow a routine when you go to sleep. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day and try to rest 8 hours a day.
- Do physical exercise. Do some kind of physical activity on a regular basis, it can help improve your mood. Try it outdoors.
- Eat healthily. Maintain a balanced diet, and avoid sugars, alcohol or caffeine.
- Keep your mind busy. Enjoy your free time doing some activity that makes you feel good, either alone or in the company of other people.
- Project positive thoughts. Developing positive thoughts help you maintain better emotional well-being.
- Communicate. It is important that you maintain contact with other people. Socializing and talking with the closest people, it helps improve personal well-being.
- Relax. Try to keep your mind relaxed and also reduce everything that causes you stress. Enjoy hobbies.
- Set a Goal. Set daily goals that you can achieve and those priorities that you want to achieve. Recognize your achievements and efforts.
- Use new Technologies Correctly. Reduce the time you spend on electronic devices, it can be key to finding a balance in life.
- Ask for help when you need it. Be honest with yourself and seek help from a specialist when you feel bad.
How to have Good Mental Health?
As I explained at the beginning, most of us are attentive to our physical health, and to our well-being. However, we do not realize that [mental health] is just as important as physical health and that if we are not psychologically healthy, our bodies will suffer.
Therefore, it is very important to also pay attention to our [mental health] and try to keep our general health in the balance, seeking help when necessary.
If we maintain healthy lifestyle habits because they improve our physical condition, we must know that they also improve our mental condition. Therefore, these habits have a positive effect on our physical, mental and social health in general. In this way, we can prevent problems such as anxiety from occurring. That when it’s not adaptive, it can interfere with our daily life, and our daily functioning.
Is Mental health as Important as Physical?
Yes, the two types of health go hand in hand. If we take care of our physical condition, play sports, with a healthy diet, going to the doctor, we must also take care of ourselves mentally.
How do I know if I have a mental health problem?
When changes in thinking, emotions or behaviours appear that cause discomfort or produce changes in daily functioning.
Do I have to carry out the 10 tips?
It is recommended but not essential. Each person achieves her well-being in a different way and each person is in a different situation. Put into practice what you need to feel good.