Nutrition In Your Food – Foods are known to contain a variety of nutrients that help maintain health. Enjoying a varied diet is the first step to ensuring you get all the vitamins and minerals you need. Another important step is to understand what affects the nutrients in food. Read on to discover how to get the most out of the foods you eat.
Also Read : Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
Table of Contents
What Affects The Nutrients in Food?
Many things can reduce the nutrients in food. Some of these factors include:
- How food is prepared
- Cooking temperature
- Amount of time elapsed since food was collected e
- The distance food traveled from the farm to your table
- Vegetables and fruits, in particular, can lose their nutrients very quickly.
Also Read : Everything you Need to Know about Psoriasis
How Can I Preserve The Nutrients Found In Fruits And Vegetables?
- Try the tips below to preserve the nutrients found in fruits and vegetables.
Don’t Overcook Vegetables
- Try different ways of cooking vegetables, such as sautéing, steaming, or roasting. For example, try steamed vegetables or grilled asparagus.
- When cooking, use very little water and low heat. Soups and stews are a good way to preserve nutrients usually lost during cooking.
Use Products Wisely
- Buy fresh local produce.
- Shop more often and eat foods right after you buy them.
- Avoid harmful foods to avoid nutrient loss.
- Freeze fruits and vegetables to preserve their nutrients and enjoy them all year round.
Grow Your Food
- If possible, grow fruits and vegetables in the summer to reduce storage and transport times.
How Can I Help You Absorb More Nutrients?
Adding fat, such as canola oil, helps absorb carotenoids in yellow, orange, and red vegetables and vitamin K in dark green leafy vegetables.
Add Vitamin C
Adding vitamin C from citrus fruits, such as lemon or lime juice, helps your body absorb the folic acid from dark green leafy vegetables and the iron in plant foods.
Eating a variety of foods every day is the best way to get the nutrients you need. To get the essential nutrition from the foods you eat, don’t overcook your vegetables, store and use your foods wisely, and buy and eat foods often.
.Also Read : Know About Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS)